Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What a day...

First things first! My craftroom/kitchen table is done, yea!! They came to install it yesterday but had to take the legs back and add the black glaze that was overlooked. I didn't get home from court until almost 4:00 p.m. so I thought I'd missed out on finishing the table today. The guys arrived right at 5:00, the table was set for dinner and the tacos were about ready to serve. I turned off dinner and cleared the table. I've been waiting a year for this... what's another hour till dinner?! I'm happy with it, there are 2 file drawers and 3 cabinets with doors for storage in the base of it. I think it will look more like a table with all 6 chairs around it, tonight it kind of looks like an island with legs. The best part is I'll be able to fit 8 ladies around it for stamping!

My picture below is Inky the cat in the bathroom sink. My little boy caught her curled up in there just before bed time. I didn't get there in time for that picture but this one is almost as cute. No wonder there was so much black fur in that bathroom sink this morning...
I have to tell you a little bit about the rest of my day too. Today was "my day in court". If you've been following my blog for awhile you know that last year I had a broken pipe under my kitchen floor that started a kitchen remodel nightmare.
I hired a contractor to replace my bottom cabinets because they were water damaged. Long story short - I gave him a deposit of half the cost of the job with a promise to complete it in 4 weeks. After 8 months, half done cabinets, complaints filed with The Registrar of Contractors, The Better Business Bureau and numerous phone calls to try to get the job done I hired a new contractor and filed a lawsuit.
We went to court today. There is no judgement yet, the judge needs to go over our paperwork to make her decision and will get back to us in 5 to 6 weeks. You may be thinking WHAT?! It's okay, I kept excellent records and she has them now. His record keeping wasn't so good, and his dates were inconsistant with what he said in court. I made sure to point that out.
I think she was very gracious to the two of us not even would be attorney's presenting our cases and more than patient. It was not fun and I really don't think I'd like to do that again but will if I have to.
Do you know what the best part of this was? I found out from the new contractor I hired to finish the job that the judge is having her kitchen remodeled. She's his next customer. I think God has a great sense of humor. Who better to hear your case than a woman who's about to have her kitchen remodeled.

4 comments:

Marcia @ Pretty Things said...

Jan, it looks awesome. I love the colour of the cabinetry. And I am every hopeful for you with the court outcome - we are going through a kitchen makeover at the moment, been at it since Feb and can understand your annoyance at cabinetmakers who do not keep timelines, commitments etc.

On another note, you kitty cat is so sweet - looks exactly like Chip, our nine month old kitty. And Chip likes the bathroom too, but he would rather be in the bath having a swim!

Yay for you.

:) Marcia P
SBS4

Deb said...

Your table is beautiful Jan, oh to have that much storage in my kitchen! Cute kitty!
Hope the judge finds in your favour, you certainly have a good case!
Have a fabulous Easter weekend! Debx

Alley said...

Kitchen looks grEAT. i must say I love cats and the photo is adorable..

Diane said...

Oh my! I can't believe that's not over with yet! You are one organized lady and will do well with all your documents. I agree with you,God works wonders!
Your kitchen looks fabulous!!!
And your little kitty is the sweetest!