Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Homemade Lotion Bars Tutorial


Hello blog friends!

I'm gathering supplies today to make homemade Lotion Bars, I hope you'll join me in my step by step tutorial.  As you can see from the picture above I have Shea Butter, Avocado Oil, Vitamin E Oil, Raw Honey, Scented Beeswax, a Pringles can and my scale.  

Are you wondering about the Pringles can?  Don't worry you'll see!


I've weighed out my ingredients on the scale and have them melting in a double boiler.  I left out the Vitamin E Oil and Raw Honey, I'll stir that in when it comes off the heat.


When the Beeswax is melted into the Shea Butter and Avocado Oil take it off the heat and stir in your Vitamin E Oil, Essential Oils of your choice and in my case raw honey.


Here's where the Pringles can comes in...  it's my lotion bar mold.  I cleaned the inside with a paper towel and greased it with lard, you could also use Crisco or Coconut Oil.  I used what I had on hand.  I set my cooling lotion bar aside to cool and cleaned up after myself.


A couple of hours later I unmolded the lotion bar - tore the Pringles can off...

Can you see the upper left corner there is a dark spot?  That's some of the raw honey.  When I unmolded the lotion bar the raw honey was in the bottom of the Pringles can.  I was having a hard time blending it in and now I know why - it didn't.  I scrapped off all the raw honey from the bottom of the lotion bar and sides to be free of the sticky mess and made a mental note not to add raw honey to my lotion bars.
I was thinking since honey is great for holding moisture in our skin, it would be a nice added benefit.  
Well I guess not, lol. 


I did my best to cut the lotion bars into uniform widths using my soap mold with cutter.


They aren't perfect but they'll do nicely.


Using a Pringles can as a mold makes the lotion bars the perfect size to fit in 4 oz. metal tins.
Great for gift giving and/or carrying in our purses.

I have the recipe for you to try below.

Homemade Lotion Bars

3.6 ounces shea butter
  3.6 ounces avocado oil (the weight of my 4 oz. bottle of oil)
  3.6 ounces beeswax
  1 teaspoon vitamin E Oil
1 teaspoon essential oil of your choice (optional)

 
I hope you enjoyed making lotion bars with me today.
Thanks for visiting my blog!

Linky Parties




8 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is wonderful! So simple and it sounds delightful!

luckybunny said...

I can't wait to try this! Thanks so much for sharing.

Unknown said...

Wow, these are so great! They would make awesome gifts, too!

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Thanks for showing the Pringle can tip Jan, love it. I can't wait to try it. I've had the same experience with the honey, ha ha! Great blog, lots of inspiration here!

I wonder if you can make homemade soap in a pringle can, would you happen to know?

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Sidney you can buy the 4 oz metal tins here: http://www.papermart.com/Product%20Pages/Product.aspx?GroupID=14271&SubGroupID=14272&origin=product_ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=adwords&utm_campaign=product_ads#14272

I updated my blog post with a link today too.

I hope you have lots of fun making this recipe =)

Natural Mothers Network said...

Hi Jan! I really love your post! It's really inspirational and informative and what a great idea for Christmas too! I think our readers would really enjoy reading this. I would love for you to come share it at Seasonal Celebration I really hope that you will put Seasonal Celebration on your list of carnivals to visit and link to us every Wednesday!
http://naturalmothersnetwork.com/
Rebecca x

Natural Mothers Network said...

Jan I just want to thank you very much for visiting us over at Seasonal Celebration with your fabulous lotion bar tutorial. We are having a special holiday link up this Wednesday! Rebecca x

Unknown said...

LOVE this! I can't wait to try it...
Handmade Lotion