Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Homemade "Like Scentsy" Beeswax Cubes


My blog post today is about a happy accident that turned into a fun gift idea.
Pictured above you are looking at scented beeswax that are cut up using a tool that I normally cut my homemade soap with. 


A few months ago our local Bee Keeper and friend/neighbor gave me a twenty pound brick of beeswax.  
I'd almost bet you he was thinking, "let's see what she can do with this (hehehe)"    
One of the things I wanted to try was Beeswax candles, as our kids would say, it was pretty much a fail.  The candles cooled too quickly and most had unsightly cracks in them.  The first candle batch was scented with Pumpkin fragrance oil.  I decided to melt the candles down and just pour the scented wax into quart sized half and half cartons till I figured out a way around the cracking.


Quart sized milk and half & half cartons are perfect for making smaller blocks of Beeswax and works as a nice soap mold too.  

I "unmolded" the scented Beeswax by tearing off the paper cartons.  Before the Beeswax hardened completely I cut it up into chunks so it would melt easier and then thought about my Scentsy warmers.  Oh wow, I'd just made my own scented wax for my warmer!!!  I tried out a couple of the cut up cubes and they worked beautifully, smelled delightful and lasted a lot longer than the name brand product - hey wow I think I'm on to something!  The only real difference is the Beeswax melts at a higher temperature so it takes longer to melt in the warmer.  Beeswax is a much healthier alternative to paraffin wax so that's a plus for our families too.


Now for the gift idea!  I was having a hard time thinking of a gift for one of my husbands sisters and realized I could make scented Beeswax cubes for her and package them in a up-cycled candle jar!  She'd mentioned she liked a store brand Fig scent and I just happened to have a Mediterranean Fig fragrance oil from Elements Bath & Body.com. 


I put some of the unscented Beeswax in my double boiler, waited for it to melt, checked the temperature to be sure it was about 150 degrees and added the fragrance oil.  Next I poured it into the quart sized half & half container and waited for it to set up and cool.  Wouldn't you know that when I use a carton like that my wax has never cracked???   

After the Beeswax had cooled and the brick was solid I tore off the carton and cut it into cubes.
The next day I put the cubes in the up-cycled candle jar, made a tag label and added a red ribbon.


It was a hit, she loved it!

I used the scented Beeswax cubes as a Christmas gift but they'd make a nice birthday present, hostess gift or anytime when you'd like to give someone just a little something.
Change your tag or label and you're all set!

Thanks for visiting my blog today -

Link Parties:



16 comments:

Alyce Kit and Clowder said...

what a great idea!! they look fab all packaged up and i bet they smell amazing :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is awesome! You are so blessed to have someone gift you with all that beeswax! You have so many awesome ideas, Jan, I just love them all. :)

Kristi @Let This Mind Be in You

kare said...

i LOVE my candles ...the cracks go away when you burn them anyways:)
Thank You!

Sorry i didn't get to see you but i'm not presentable these days so this worked out great!
You are a Dear!
Blessings
~kare

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hi Kare! I'm so glad you liked the Beeswax candles I made for you =)

We'll get together one day again, I'm not going anywhere!

Hugs, Jan

Carol L said...

I can't keep up with you Jan! You leap from stamping, to Copics, to couponing, making soap, and now candle making! You just keep growing and I just keep watching in amazement! I'd LOVE to try those pumpkin cubes in my scentsy! I can almost smell them now ;) Love that pretty jar and tag too!

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Wow, wow, wow Jan! Super great idea! What a treasure to get that beeswax too! My sister has been trying to come up with a recipe for her Scensy
warmer, I'll have to show her your post. thanks, Anna

Ann said...

Jan, this is a fabulous idea! I have some beeswax leftover from my soy candle making attempts. I am definitely going to try this. Thank you!

Krystil said...

Well are you just like Martha Stewart! LOL What a fabulous idea! I have thrown out several warmers in the past because the smells are too strong for me. But when you can make your own, I guess you can control the potency of the smell.

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Didn't she end up in jail Krystil? lol

Yes you can adjust the strength of the fragrance that you use. I hope you get the chance to try it =)

Lisa Lynn said...

What a great idea! No petroleum involved :) Found you on Frugal Days and I would love to have you share this on The HomeAcre Hop!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/01/the-homeacre-hop-3.html

Lisa Lynn said...

Thanks for sharing this on The HomeAcre Hop! So glad to have you join me :) Can't wait to see what you have to share next week!

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Genius! And such a thoughtful gift.
Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!

Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino
The Chicken Chick
http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

Jennifer said...

This is an incredible gift idea! Wonderful how you stumble on these wonderful discoveries!

Natural Mothers Network said...

A wonderfully creative idea Jan! Thank for sharing it with us on Seasonal Celebration Wednesday! Rebecca x

Leigh said...

How much oil do you put in for the scent?

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hi Leigh, I followed the manufacturers suggested usage rate for the fragrance in candles. When I order online from Nature's Garden for example they give a safe usage rate for candles, soap, lotions, etc. for their fragrances.

I hope that helps you.

Happy crafting!

Jan