Friday, May 3, 2013

Foaming Hand Soap Recipe


I'm working away at my Aromatherapy Certification class and thought I'd share one of my home work exercises with you today -  Making A Liquid Hand Soap.


I have my supplies out and ready!  I had to deviate from the assignment ever so slightly by not choosing all my essential oils from the Esters chemical family.  Bergamot and Geranium have a significant percentage of Esters in their chemical make up and are two essential oils I've been studying so I'll give you a little background on them today.  

Some of Bergamot's therapeutic properties are:
  • Antidepressant
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Antiviral
  • Central Nervous System Tonic
  • Sedative
There is a CAUTION to consider when using Bergamot, it's phototoxic— direct sunlight or sun beds should be avoided for 12 hours after applying bergamot to the skin.  

Some of Geranium's therapeutic properties are:
  • Anti-inflammatory
  • Antibacterial
  • Antidepressant
  • Antifungal
  • Astringent
  • Cicatrisant
  • Skin Healing
  • Tonic
Recommendations and CAUTIONS for Geranium are not to use during early pregnancy.

As I'm looking at my data sheet for Geranium I see where I came up with my recipe idea!
If you'd like to go to Aromatics International's data page for Geranium you'll see the recipe too.


Sorry I was starting to get off topic...  I used Castile Soap and measured 2 ounces into my measuring cup.


Added in my essential oils and stirred to blend into the 2 ounces of soap.
  • Geranium 6 drops
  • Rose Absolute 3 drops
  • Bergamot 8 drops
  • Sweet Orange 3 drops

Poured my 2 ounce blend into my rinsed out foamer bottle while taking a picture.


I next topped off my foamer bottle with Distilled Water and gave it a good shake to mix everything.  This soap will need to be shaken each time before using it because water and essential oils don't stay mixed.  A small sacrifice to have a nice hand soap with therapeutic properties and scented just the way I like it!


Ready to go live in our bathroom.  

An alternative to Castile Soaps are using an unscented liquid soap refill of your choice.  My youngest son doesn't like the way Castile Soaps "feel" so I make the liquid foaming soap that stays in the bathroom that everyone shares using an unscented liquid soap I buy locally.   

I hope you'll give making your own liquid soap a try, it's easy and fun and goes a long way if you use a foamer bottle!

Most of the products I used to make my liquid foaming soap today came from Aromatics International.

Thanks for visiting my blog today -






3 comments:

kare said...

i wonder if this could be made with a liquid Glycerin soap? i can't use Castile AT All!!

AH, but i probably couldn't use it because it still has scents i might have trouble with...
Though i wonder if i could get away with just one scent?...like grape-fruit or something, depending on the chemistry i suppose? i use grapefruit seed extract with no trouble at all.

You've got me thinking..hmmm...i'm tired of just Coconut oil for perfume..can't use it too much either because i get overloaded.
Hmmmmm!!)
This is MORE interesting than i thought it would be at first.
looking forward to More!

Blessings to you and your Sweeties!

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hey Kare!

I'd try it and see what happens with maybe an ounce, be careful with citrus essential oils, most are phototoxic so you shouldn't expose your skin to the sun after using them. You can get sun burned easier and in your case you may not need the sun.

You can still experiment with the soap of your choice and add water to the foamer bottle for a little scent free fun.

Thank you so much for bringing me dish soap the other day, my hand has healed and I've been washing a few dishes again...

Hugs, Jan

Kathy D. said...

Hey Jan!!
If you get a chance come see us at Clearly iStamp tomorrow as I will be hosting 4 challenges for National Scrapbook Day!! Would love to see you!!!

Kathy D.
P.S. - come see us on the 15th for the release as I think there is a stamp you might like!! :)