Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Etched Copper Necklace - Friends to the end


Back in July I learned about etching copper.

This fun necklace is made using a disk I cut from a sheet of copper.  I actually made the etched sheet of copper first then cut the disk.  Etching a metal disk like this can eat away the metal around the edges and the outcome has been unpredictable for me.  

After cutting the disk I sanded the edges to make sure they were nice and smooth and antiqued it with Liver of Sulfur.  Then used my dapping tools to give it a domed shape.  I used another cool tool to make a hole for my handmade bail that connects the pendant to the necklace chain.  The antiqued copper mesh chain is 3mm wide and 18" long.  I also treated the pendant with ProtectaClear to preserve the patina I gave it.

A necklace similar to this one is available for sale at our store Arizona Copper Craft.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!

No comments: