Monday, March 2, 2009

Triple Challenge

I'd like to share a card I made on Friday with you today. I was on Splitcoaststampers in the morning browsing, looking for ideas, inspiration, some kind of jumping off point to get me started on something fun. I came across Limited Supply Challenge 209, it mentioned designer paper. When I read the "rules" it said we were to make our own designer paper, oh... that's one of the things I love about stamping, making my own paper! I'd had this Lizzie Anne Designs set on my mind and was thinking about putting it on one of my biggest acrylic blocks and making a background stamp out of it. In the end I stamped each image randomly and separately.

I also saw Limited Supply Challenge 177, it called for a different fold in your card. Several of the examples used gate folds so I thought I'd like to try that too.

And then... I feel like I get in a rut using the same colors over and over, yes those are the colors I'm drawn to it seems but there are so many others that are beautiful together too! So I went over and checked out the color challenges. Oh my, Pumpkin Pie, Summer Sun and Old Olive.

So okay, that was my starting point and below is what I ended up with. I like it!

I used the Lizzie Anne Designs Jolies Fleurs set, stamping it randomly on my white card stock. I found the SU papers I planned to use and went over to my Copic markers and pulled the matches to my paper and a blender. It took awhile to color all the images but it was FUN! When I was finished coloring I thought that there were a lot of white areas left so I grabbed a little tiny stamp from my stash that has three dots on it and used it to fill in the white areas. Oh no! I just cheated on the LSC!! Too late, it's done. You could only use one stamp set. Oh well, I was looking for inspiration not rules.

I used Old Olive as the base of my card, I had to do a little math to figure out where the folds belonged, used my Scor It and hoped for the best. I then cut my designer paper into a 5" square and sponged it with brown ink. I then attached it to a panel of Pumpkin Pie, next I cut it in half and attached it to my Old Olive card body. I'd colored the big flower in the set so I cut it out and went back over it with YR14 to cover the white around the edges. I took a scrap of white and stamped two of the flourishes in each corner (kinda) and colored them in with G99. The flower is popped with foam tape and I used that tiny stamp again with SU Pumpkin Pie ink in the other corners. That panel is attached on the left side of the card front.
This is a picture of the inside of my card. I had a strip of designer paper left so I used it. I worked too hard coloring it to throw it away! It looked funny so I added a strip of SU Summer Sun and stamped the sentiment, it's from PapertreyINK.
Since my kitchen a.k.a. craft room remodel I've found a lot of neglected stamps. I'm sure you can relate! It's exciting and fun to be using them again!
Happy Monday~

5 comments:

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh fun, so pretty, TFS.

Gena Porter - aka GDP2001 said...

The card came out great. i have never desingned my own paper, will have to try it sometime.

Gena Porter - aka GDP2001 said...

Great card, I have never tried designing my own paper. will have to try that sometime.

Alley said...

What a fun one! The colors are so bright and cheery..

Marcia @ Pretty Things said...

Wow Jan, this has blown me away. If I hadn't read your story, just looked at the card, I would have sworn that was printed paper.

:) Marcia