Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Natural Antihistamine with Essential Oils


I'm back with the tutorial I promised last Friday!

Pictured above I'm gathering my supplies from Plant Therapy:


and my little funnel.

What I want to make today is a natural antihistamine.  

Here's my case study, me...
Last October I was going to have a home party gathering and was stressed about it, the skin around my lips turned red, started to itch like crazy, which then turned into little blisters around my lips that broke open,  then my lips dried out and cracked.  It was miserable!   I did everything I could think of to get relief but nothing seemed to help.  This went on almost continuously for six months. Every time I'd get a little stressed the same thing would happen...

I'd read that Lemon, Lavender & Peppermint combined with a carrier oil make a great antihistamine for skin related alergies, I had nothing to lose so I got out my essential oils and mixed them together with a carrier oil  and used it three times a day.  Within 24 hours my lips and skin around them were no longer itching or inflamed and were healing!  


I'm using a roller bottle for my homemade blend.  I think they are wonderfully convenient for applying finished essential oil blends to ourselves and loved ones.  I added three drops of each Lemon, Peppermint and Lavender essential oils to the roller bottle, 9 drops total.  Essential oils are pure plant essences and very strong, a little goes a long way.


Next I used my little funnel to top off the roller bottle with Fractionated Coconut Oil.  
The dark green color of the glass roller bottle is perfect for storing blends of essential oils.  Essential Oils need to be kept cool and stored in a dark place so they don't oxidize.  If and when oxidation happens the essential oil can become irritating to our skin, so be sure to store your oils properly for a long shelf life.


Next I added the roller ball and top, gave it a good shaking, then printed a label with the name, ingredients and date I created it. 

I no longer need to apply this blend three times a day but I do use it every couple of days.  I also diffuse Lavender and other calming/relaxing blends of essential oils at home each day.  

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial and thanks for visiting my blog today -

Linky Parties:

 Clever Chicks

Wildcrafting Wednesdays

Eco Kids Tuesday


Gingerly Made

Frugally Sustainable

10 comments:

Anna from Natures Home Spa said...

Jan this sounds like a great combination of essential oils, as I and several family members suffers from skin allergies, etc I would like to try this natural remedy. Thank you for the post!

Misty said...

Thank you Jan. So the coconut is the carrier oil?

Jan Hunnicutt said...

Hi Misty, Yes the Coconut Oil is the carrier oil. Carrier oils are usually vegetable oils like Coconut, Jojoba, Sweet Alomnd, Grapeseed, etc., they are called "carrier oils" because they help carry essential oils into our skin.

Carolina Girl (Cely) said...

I found this quite fascinating! I will keep this in my file. I never had this problem but there could always come the time. Thank you so much for sharing!

Billie A said...

Would this be good for hives. I usually take an antihistamine or benny for them.. would rather use this?? wouldn't knock me out so bad if it was natural oils - right?

Jan Hunnicutt said...

It's possible Billie, you could try it and see.

HannahW said...

Very good info! I'd love if you'd come share with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday!!

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Very interesting blog.......Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


Cheers,
Kathy Shea Mormino

The Chicken Chick

http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

HannahW said...

I have heard great things about this trio!

Thanks for sharing with us at Eco-Kids Tuesday!! Hope you come link up again today!

Lisa Lynn said...

Thanks so much for sharing this on Wildcrafting Wednesday! I hope you can join us again today!
http://www.theselfsufficienthomeacre.com/2013/04/wildcrafting-wednesday-15.html