Monday, June 25, 2012

Cuddly Buddly Lilyboo Designs Cupcake Love



I have  Lilyboo digital images to share with you today!
For my card I merged Lilyboo's Cupcake Love and Lilyboo's Spring Bench digital images to make a scene and colored it with Copic markers.

I thought this scene would be a nice way to practice my new skills from the Copic Intermediate class I took a week ago.  The first example is we learned how to color an image similar to the tree on my card.  Another noticeable thing would be the greenery under the bench actually looks like it's under and behind the bench, the greenery on the tulips do too.  I worked on my cast shadows around the image for added interest and Lily really looks like she's sitting on the bench instead of being part of the bench, lightening her hair a little with Y21 made a difference there!  Can you tell what color her socks are?  They're supposed to be white so I lightly shaded them with the lightest green I used in the greenery below her G20.  I added a Quickkutz die cut sun to the upper right corner to help complete my scene and show my light source.  Then added dots of Y11, Y13 & Y35 radiating outward for sunshine.

After I'd walked away for awhile I came back and made the Happy Birthday sentiment on my computer and cut it out with a Stampin' Up! Word Window punch.  It took a few tries to find just the right spot for it.  I knew I wanted it on the left side of my card toward the bottom to possibly three quarters of the way up.  I moved it up and down and settled on right where it is now.  After looking at the card to see if I was "done" I realized there is that triangular shape on it that draws our eye around the card.  Can you see it?  If you drew a line from one bright yellow item to another on my card front you'd end up with a triangle.  Hmmm... funny the things we do to balance our cards without thinking about it or maybe knowing why?

Now I have a question for you!  
Can you see the big mistake on my card where I thought I might have to throw it away and start over?


As I was coloring I was going to add a cast shadow to the left side of her dress using B91, starting light and if it needed more I'd try B93.  Before I left for Las Vegas last week I filled several of my Copic markers or should I say over filled!  I didn't even get the chance to touch the marker tip to the paper before it dripped, oh no!!  I dabbed up what I could with a dry cotton ball that was on the table and let the rest dry.  I was able to remove some of the blue with my blender marker pushing it onto the cupcake wrapper I hadn't colored yet, then I just worked it the best I could using the R81, R83 & B93 markers.  Quite a cupcake shadow now that I've drawn your attention to it!  That's one of the things I really like about Copic markers, you can usually fix mistakes...  

Here are the Copic markers I used:  

Dress: R81, R83, R85, B91, B95
Bench:  E53, E25, E29, E99
Tree:  E31, E35, E47, YG01, YG03, YG25, G46
Dark Greenery:  G20, G21, G24, G46
Tulips:  Y00, Y11, Y13, Y35
Cupcake:  R89, R83, B91, B41
Hair:  E33, E35, E37, Y21 
Skin:  E00, E01, E11, R20
Background:  B0000, B01
Sunshine:  Y11, Y13, Y35
Shoes:  N1, N3, N5
Socks:  G20

The card stock colors are Stampin' Up! Garden Green, Nut Brown, Astro Brights Galaxy Gold and Copic X Press It blending card.  Everything but the Copic X Press It was in my scrap pile beside my paper trimmer, I love it when that happens!

Thanks for visiting my blog today -

Challenges: 
ATC's & Cards With Attitude - Anything Goes
Cardmadfairy's - Girly
Inspire Me Friday's - Anything Goes
Stampin' For The Weekend - Show Us Your Style, Clean & Colored
The Corrosive Challenge - Summertime Girls
Sentimental Sunday's - Cute & Girly
That Craft Place - It's All Green
Make It Monday - Anything Goes

19 comments:

AllisonG said...

I love your scene, Jan! You were so good at coloring BEFORE your latest certification class, now you're an EXPERT for sure!

Charlie said...

WELL DONE on that card - your Copic skills are to die for!! And well saved as well - love it when we can make a mistake and cover it up. Wish real life was as easy as that!! =0)
Thanks for sharing this cute picture.

Valerie said...

A very cute card! I hope I can learn to color and shade this well one day! This little girl reminds me of my granddaughter! May have to get this one! Thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!

Winnie said...

Such a pretty card. Your coloring is amazing! Love how you did the sun also.

Marjorie said...

Gorgeous card hun...beautiful colouring...
Thank you for joining us at Make It Monday this week...
Remember, to be in the running to win the prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning!
Hugs,
Marjorie
xx

Donna Hanley said...

Jan, Wonderful job on this card especially on your boo boo, which we would have never known had you not told us. It looked just like a shadow that was suppose to be there. All of your shadowing came out great and things look like they are just where they should be: under and behind other things. You must have been the star student in the class. Enjoy your evening.

fatmonica said...

It's a beautiful card.I love the summery colours.!Thanks for sharing it with us at ATCs and Cards with Attitude.

jimlynn said...

Great shading on this Jan. Love the way you did the dots around the sun too. Very cute scene and card!
Lynn

Faye said...

Hello. I saw your Very Beautiful card on MIM..Faye

Alyce Kit and Clowder said...

Jan this is the cutest! What an adorable scene and I love your colouring :)

loz said...

Hi. I saw this Beautiful card on Make-it-Monday..Loz

lalkygirl said...

what a fab card ,stunning colouring and i love the scene you have created
thanks for joining us at digi days and good luck
tracey x

Doreen Horats, Clayton said...

Hi, I saw your card on MIM and it is so cute and great card layout design. Love the nice spring colors. Do give me a visit too.
Have a super great day
Blessings Doreen

Jasmine said...

Aww, this is so sweet! Fantastic coloring. I love the way you did the sunshine! Thanks so much for joining us at the Corrosive Challenge.

Kasey ~ in Oz said...

Cute card! Lovely scene you've created.
Followed your link from MIM. I'm 73, 81 & 83 this week (so far!). I'd love it if you to stop by and comment on your favourite one.

Cheers,
Kasey ~ in Oz

Kathy said...

How very cute. Beautifully colored, and way to go fixing the drip! So glad you joined the cute and girly challenge at Sentimental Sundays.

Purple mad Alison said...

Beautiful card. Love how you've made the sun's rays look, stunning!
Thanks for joining us over on ATCs With Attitude.
Hugs Alison x x

Barbara said...

Hi Jan, saw your post on MIM and had to stop for a visit. Never dreamed that I would get a lesson on copic techniques. You are brave to point out your mistake. I always tell students that an artist never makes mistakes:) Your posting is adorable. I had never heard of these digital images. You have inspired me, thanks.

Erin said...

beautiful work and loving all the green
thank you for joining us at
That craft place
Erin