Friday, June 8, 2012

School's Out Week Two


School's out week two day one...
I've heard "I'm bored" a couple of times so far but I've been doing my best to find fun things to keep our 10 & 12 year old kids busy.  I've been giving them a small list of chores to do each day so our house doesn't look like...  well you know!  

Monday we went to work making peanut butter dog treats for Maxine.  
Pictured above is Maxine cleaning the peanut butter jar while Jenny holds it for her, Michael had the cleanest hands so he is taking the picture for me.


We took turns mixing up two double batches, rolling the dough out and cutting them out with bone shaped cookie cutters.  This is one of the cookie sheets full of all the treats when we were finished.


As we were working on these one of our discussions was if we were saving any money making these ourselves.  The kids didn't think so and were getting a little distracted with full cookie sheets waiting for the next batch to come out of the oven.  When it was all said and done we brought out the kitchen scale, set it to zero with an empty cookie sheet on it then weighed the full one to get an accurate reading.  We were surprised to have 5 lbs 13 oz of peanut butter dog treats! 

Our investment:
2 hours time together - priceless
40 ounce jar creamy peanut butter ( Maxine & kids licked the last 1/4 cup from the jar)  - $5.00 from a $5.00 Friday special at Safeway
8 cups whole wheat flour - from our pantry
4 tablespoons baking powder - from our pantry
32 ounces of 2 % milk - @ 1.57 a gallon on sale at Safeway

I packaged the treats in mason jars and sealed them with my Food Saver.  One half gallon jar left on the counter for Maxine's snacking pleasure and two half gallon mason jars in the freezer for later.


A job well done kids!

The recipe for you:

Ingredients:
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup low-fat milk

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. 
Thanks for visiting my blog today -

4 comments:

Lelia Pierce said...

How totally fun is that? Love it, Jan!

XXX

Unknown said...

This looks like fun and the dog biscuits look great. Clearly Maxine is into peanut butter.

Vicki Dutcher said...

I pinned this - I just LOVE this idea and I know my "kids" (4 legged kind) will too! :)

Laura said...

Hello Jan, just want tto stop by and say hi. And ran into this awesome post with your family. Love it!! I will have to try this recipe for my little roxy. I can remember when when you got your boxer, she has grown so beautifully.

Laura