Saturday, July 14, 2007

Lovin' That Poochie Frankie!

Thursday evening in my travels, blog browsing that is, I came across Sketch This. She has a sketch challenge going on and I took one look and thought - Oh boy!

I hadn't used my Poochie Frankie stamp from The Cat's Pajammas yet and had this idea forming in my head. When I bought Poochie Frankie I made sure to purchase "a set" that I put together myself. It consists of 3 stamps, Poochie Frankie, Kowabunga! and a 3 flower stamp that matches the flowers on his shorts. Everything I need, right? Sure!


I started out stamping Poochie Frankie on white card stock and thought he needs waves to be surfing on, oh!! and I have some! I opened a drawer in my file cabinet (full of stamps) and found just what I needed.

I know Cool Caribbean is now retired by Stampin' Up! but I happen to have almost 500 sheets of it I found somewhere else and I think it looks like the color of water so I had to use it. I stamped my waves (made by 100 Proof) in Cool Caribbean under Poochie and then sponged a little of the ink around him and also sponged the edges of the white card stock with it. I then used my Aqua Painter to color in the flowers on his cute board shorts. After that dried I used a Prismacolor pencil to color the purple on his shorts and used Gamsol and a stump to blend the color.

I matted Poochie on a scrap of Black cardstock and then Cool Caribbean. It still needed something but I wasn't sure what so I moved on to the next part. The Cool Caribbean panel, I wasn't sure if it should be Black or Cool Caribbean so I cut the card bodies in each color so I could see what worked best. The Cool Caribbean really popped on the black card body so I went from there.

I used the 3 flowers stamp to make patterned paper for this panel. I then decided I needed another color, the purple that I used to color those board shorts might be just the thing. I consulted my color wheel and much to my surprise it was there (kinda)!

I then added a Purple Medium matting around the Cool Caribbean on my Poochie image and stamped Kowabunga! on the skinny strip that runs across the card, ooohhhh, we're gettin' there!

I had it all layed out and thought he needs sunshine! I know I have a sun in my Quickutz dies that would be perfect... Checked my color wheel again and it said YoYo Yellow, I was thinking more like Summer Sun but okay I can do that. I tried both and they were right!

Next I started sticking it all down on the card body. The Poochie surfing image is popped with foam tape (stuff I can't live without) and the sun die cut is also popped with foam tape. When I had it all put together I thought I'd like to add just one more thing and hoped I wasn't over doing it. I thought it needed a couple of brads to finish it off.

I was so excited with the card I'd just created using the sketch! I went back to the website so I could leave a comment and a link to my card!!

It was last weeks sketch and you have to do a sketch each week for this challenge, oh =). That's okay, I went to bed feeling happy with what I'd made. Someone else's sketch had helped me create something fun, that's what it's really all about anyway for me - creating something and having fun with it!

2 comments:

Allison Rankin said...

Great card...I love Poochie!

Diane said...

Jan!!! He's so cute!!!