Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Those Challenges Won't Let Me Sleep!

Would you believe this kept waking me up last night? Every time I woke up I was thinking about making a Vintage Look card for the Dare To Get Dirty Challenge on Split Coast Stampers. How sick is that?? I guess it would have been sicker if I'd have given in and gotten out of bed to make it before 7:00 this morning.

I have never used this stamp before and I've had it for at least 3 years. It's huge and I don't usually make cards that large. The finished card is just under a half sheet of paper.

Anyway, it was fun to make. I stamped the image with Stazon Timber Brown and colored it with an aquapainter and ink pads. To get the vintage look the directions said to use 3 colors of brown, sponge the lightest shade all over the paper, image and all. Do the same with the next darker shade and the darkest shade sponge just around the edges. I liked the look it gives and just couldn't help myself... I had to crumple it and make it look even more worn. I sponged a little more of the dark brown in the cracks and tears I made.

Oh, after I sponged the browns on I inked my Linnen background stamp with Sahara Sand and stamped over everything. Next I layered it on the matting and then I had to go find a big envelope so I could figure out how big to make the card and went from there. The green panel under the image is stamped with the linnen background stamp and Sahara Sand ink again and the edges sponged with brown. I love the ticket corner punch and thought brown brads would be a nice way to accent that, my sentiment is from Graceful Words.

I love the vintage look, I'll be trying this again soon I hope. I've been thinking about using shades of pink.

I took several pictures today of the cards I've made for SCS Dare To Get Dirty Challenges so I can share them with you. And I've been a good girl, I've been working on Melissa's wedding album too.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome card!!! You always do a great job on colors and your experiments turn out fantastic can't wait to see this at next meeting.
Dagmar

Anonymous said...

Hi Jan,
Did you use your Prisma colors on this sunflower card? It sure looks great the way you colored it. I saw some Prismas in Hobby Lobby I think. I didn't see the stumps and I didn't look for Gamsol.
Diana

mum-on-the-run said...

Beautiful card, your vintage look turned out great!!

Kim said...

WOW.. that is all I can keep saying.. I love this card Jan. I am going to try that technique!
Kim

Pat's Paper Passion said...

Your card is truly a work of art. There is something about working with colored pencils (and watercolor pencils) that really appeals to me.

kathy said...

Beautiful card. You are so talented

Rose Ann said...

Beautiful vintage look on your card! Wonderful!

Diane said...

What can I say...another gorgeous card,you are so talented!!
Lovely Jan!!